Pages

ORC WEEK 2 : PLAYING WITH PAINT

Thursday, April 9, 2015

I purchased a bedside table. TABLE. Singular not plural. Only one. No matchy-matchy here. There is absolutely nothing wrong with matching nightstands but I thought I would step out of the (design) box and use two different tables to put on each side of bed. SAFE and conservative is my norm. I decided that I need to live on the edge...just trying to mix it up with round and square table tops.  

In my last ORC post I mentioned how I was using many pieces that my husband and I already own and repurposing them for our seaside guest bedroom. We purchased the side table shown below at a local flea market over 10 years ago.  I love the graceful lines of the legs and the height is perfect for use as a bedside table.  The original finish was a dark oak.  The natural wood isn't really appropriate for the space so a few months ago I figured “why not paint it!”.  After all, can’t we all use a makeover from time to time?!!  Unfortunately I was in a hurry to "get it done" and painted it with paint I already on hand.  Bad decision. It did not take long to realize I painted it the wrong color (it turned out wayyyyyyy too yellow).  You live and learn.  Luckily for me I used chalk paint so it will be very easy to repaint.  I am hoping to bring new life into this sweet beauty and use it opposite the new round table I purchased.


In the picture above did you notice the sneak peek at the new wall color, bedding, and finish samples I am testing out? Did I select one of these finishes or go with another? You will have to wait for the reveal!  

To accompany this post today I also added a new "Tutorial" section to the sidebar. For my first tutorial, I document how to apply Annie Sloan Chalk Paint and Waxes as well as gold gilding wax.  With Annie Sloan products a little goes a long way, the paint goes on easy, dries quick and has the wonderful finish I was hoping for.  I love Annie Sloan products...and that's my unsolicited opinion! You can see my step-by-step tutorial on chalk paint and waxes HERE. The tutorial shows how I created the finish sample shown in the pictures above and below. Creating a finish sample is a great way to test a color before committing to it. 



The art piece below was found at a local thrift shop for only $18.00. I thought it looked like a nice peaceful scene fitting for a guest room.  The frame is just too dark so it also will be getting a nice makeover. 


I am continuing to hunt for an overhead light fixture. I think I have one nailed down but I'm not 100% sure yet. I'm hoping to get that squared away by the time I have to post about next week's progress. That's about it for today! Thanks for stopping by. And don't be shy...leave a quick note and say "hello"! 

Click HERE to see my first One Room Challenge post..the post that started it all! You can view view Week 2 of the other linking participants HERE.

6 comments:

  1. It's looking great so far! I love the art! So serene! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie - Thank you very much! Glad you stopped by.

      Delete
  2. Score on the art!
    I need to try that gold gliding wax, it looks amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I couldn't pass up the art piece. Its a good size for the price! You should definitely try the gold gilding wax. It also comes in other colors.

      Delete
  3. I love the art! Just a little work and it'll be perfect for the room!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I agree...just a quick makeover to the frame will do this art piece wonders. thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

DESIGNED BY ECLAIR DESIGNS・POWERED BY BLOGGER