Thursday, April 16, 2015

If you are new to my site you can view my other One Room Challenge Posts here:


I admit that I am a self-professed textile junkie. A fabric hoarder. So the hunt for fabric for this project (really any project) was a pure adrenalin rush. This past week I turned my attention to accent pillows. Fabric, trim, sewing, and dying (yes, dying) fabric was on the agenda for this week. It was just me and my Bernina sewing machine teaming up to crank out throw pillows for the daybed going into the seaside guest room that's part of the One Room Challenge Spring 2015 event. 

Where I keep the good stuff....some of my fabric stash hidden away in a closet.

I have searched the internet high and low for inspirational day bed pictures. I found some lovely examples which I highlighted in a previous post. But they all have one thing in common: An amazing headboard, frame, or canopy. My challenge is this: How to make a daybed look wonderful without buying or building a frame or a headboard? 

I fell in love with an antique daybed at an estate sale that I missed. Months later I still dream of it. It haunts me. But my hope is that sometime my true love will find its way to our home and complete the picture. Hopefully, that new love will be an estate sale find with a relatively inexpensive tag price. Is that really too much for a design enthusiast to ask for? In the meantime, I am loading up the bed with a bunch of beautiful pillows. My Bernina sewing machine and I have become quite the couple this week. Luckily, my husband is not the jealous type!

I purchased 2 blue/green and ivory pillows recently and the Schumacher greek key fabric was purchased a few years ago and made into pillows for the bedroom at our former home. Now that we moved, I am glad I found a new spot for the Greek key pillows because years later I still love the fabric.  And that's saying alot because I typically tire of things quickly.

I ordered the floral fabric online and it has been sitting in a closet for months.  I ordered it before I really ever knew what I was going to do with it. Unfortunately, I only have two yards of fabric for 3 large (25"x25") throw pillows so I had to either (1) order more fabric or (2) get creative. I am always up to a challenge so I told myself  "You better find a way to make 2 yards work".

My solution was to use the floral for the face of the pillows and use a solid color for the back. This leads to Challenge No 2....I wanted to use a solid ivory fabric for the back of pillows but I didn't have the perfect color in my fabric stash (remember I said I was a fabric hoarder!?!! And remember I said I was up to a challenge!??).  I have yards of pure white linen so I figured why not dye it with chalk paint? This could put at least some of the left over wayyyyy too yellow chalk paint originally used on the side table to good use.

Dying the linen with chalk paint was so very easy and I am very happy with the results.  I was able to achieve the perfect shade of ivory that I was hoping for. At the far left of the picture below you can see the original white linen I started with in contrast to the dyed linen to the right.  If you want to learn how to dye fabric using chalk paint see my tutorial here.The best part of this whole thing was that I was able to use supplies I had on hand. That is always a great feeling.

I fell in love with the velvet ruffle trim many years ago and purchased what was left on the roll.

Here's a sneak peek at some of the trim used for a small accent pillow that will be placed on the antique windsor chair I inherited.  You also get a glimpse of the new bedding.


  1. Your fabrics are gorgeous & dying the fabric you already had to match was a great idea!

    1. Thank you! And thanks for stopping by.

  2. I admire your ambition. I'm sure all those pillow are going to be beautiful!

    1. Thank you Erin. Sometimes I simply don't know where I get all these hair-brained ideas from!